As the weather warms up and the sun peeks through the clouds, many of us seek to channel our newfound energy into a project that will give us something beautiful to show for our efforts – gardening! There’s something special about planting a variety of plants, flowers, and herbs, and watching as they transform into something magnificent. To help ensure your efforts are rewarded, we’ve put together five tips for creating and growing a thriving garden.
1. Start With Healthy Soil: The foundation for any healthy garden is high-quality soil. Start by improving your soil by adding compost, manure, or other organic materials. Doing so will help to nourish the soil, enrich it with nutrients and minerals, and provide a better foundation for your plants to thrive.
2. Know Your Garden: Knowing which types of plants you’re planting and which environment they’re suited for will help you plan for a successful garden. You’ll also need to make sure that the plants you choose are compatible and will coexist in the space.
3. Know Your Climate: Understanding your climate and knowing the right time to plant will help ensure the success of your garden. Check with your local garden center or weather service to determine when is best to make your garden debut.
4. Water Properly: It’s important to water your garden properly, and depending on your climate, you might be watering a few times a week. Maintain soil moisture with deep, slow soakings of water that go beyond the surface.
5. Use Compatible Pesticides: If you experience problems with pests, use a pesticide that’s compatible with the plants you have in your garden. Natural or organic products are always a great choice, as they greatly reduce the chances of harm to the environment or to any beneficial wildlife in your area.
Gardening is a rewarding experience and with just a little bit of planning, you should have a glorious garden in no time. Use these tips as a starting point and soon you’ll have a garden of your own to admire.